Friday, June 20, 2008

Friday Night Sights

Update from CKL:

After work, I stopped to get my haircut at Guise Chic, the most recent They Might Be Runners supporter (http://www.guisechic.com/). Afterwards, I came home and changed for my run as Jennifer's schedule required separate runs. It had been raining earlier so I had anticipated the treadmill at our gym, XSport Fitness. (By the way, for prospective members, XSport neither readies you for extreme sports nor does it offer anything beyond PG-13 visuals.) Fortunately, the sky had cleared and the temperature dropped to a cool temperature. I ran around the neighborhood in optimal conditions and enjoyed the people-watching as I ran.

No neighborhood run is complete without passage on Southport Avenue, one of Kinnier's favorite streets in all of Chicago. As it was Friday night, all the beautiful people were out and about, decked in smart outfits and dining al fresco. In contrast, I was sweating and hungry. As for my ensemble, I was wearing my bright yellow AIDS Marathon tech shirt (bright colors are good at night), a pair of navy athletic shorts (more than 10 years old and from Abercrombie & Fitch). In other words, I fit right in with them.

I also wore my Adidas Supernova Cushion 7 running shoes (http://www.rei.com/product/764060). A coincidental benefit last night was that the yellow tri-stripe matched the shirt perfectly. I have been wearing Adidas Supernovas (either the classic model or, more recently, the cushion model) for almost exactly 10 years. The Supernovas have a wider footbox and just fit me really well. I use them almost exclusively during my short weekday runs. (I wear a pair of Brooks running shoes during my long weekend runs.) My parents bought me my first pair on the night of my college graduation on June 19, 1998. I am concerned because I hear that Adidas might discontinue the classic model. Like with so many things, I have trouble saying goodbye. Maybe I should have had a party for my first pair, which sits in a box in our den ready to donate or recycle. We could have had a joint party for cousin Simon, whose birthday was that night. (Thanks, Simon, for being the first family member to join the team.)

Anyway, I ran by Wrigley Field, but because the afternoon 9th-inning win against the White Sox was over, people had migrated to the bars. One of my best friends from law school moved from Lincoln Park to Lakeview last weekend. I decided to run to his place and maybe say hello for a second. Unless I remembered his address incorrectly, his name was not the buzzer chart so I never found out if he was there. Instead, I ran back to Ashland and stopped by the gym to do a few stations of strength training.

Statistics:
Distance: 3.70 miles
Start Time: 8:14 p.m.
Time: 34:22
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Maximum HR: 167
Average HR: 146
Money Raised to Date: $1185
Days until Race: 114

No comments: